Wednesday 7 December 2011

Disgusting but legal

Recently this video hit the headlines after a woman racially discriminated against other passengers on a London tram. I saw several posts on Facebook and decided to watch it, it oustounded me someone could be so blatant and unfair to others just on the colour of their skin. If im honest, it made me laugh how she was so stubborn and could diregard other's opinions so easily. I was particually amused by her being so hard to undersatand that it sounded like she told people to go back to Nicaragua a central American country rather than saying Nigeria or Niger like I am sure she was attempting to.

I need to be really careful now to avoid being labelled a racist and really need to stress how stupid she sounds and I must also say if she symbolises what Britain is then I do not want to be in "(her) British country". However I think her arrest is morally wrong.

I am in no means saying that the UK is borderline totalitarian however to jail someone for expressing opinions is simply not right, however offensive they were. If bodily harm had been caused then I could understand but at the moment my opinions resonate with those expressed in the Guardian article: 'My tram experience' is shocking – but should it be cause for arrest? by Sunny Hundal:
"I hate to write an article defending such a woman but I think calling for her to be arrested and then prosecuted is over the top. I don't think such behaviour is acceptable or have a problem with condemning it. My issue is that calling for the law to get involved is about the worst way to deal with such incidents".

I am sure some people were deeply hurt by the language she used and i think the humilition of 10,000 when I first viewed it then up to 3 million and now over 11 million people seeing it is punnishment enough, I think my opinion on this matter can be summed up simply by a quote:
"I disapprove of what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.” Voltaire.

No comments:

Post a Comment